- About us
- Information for patients
- Patient information
- Preparing for your test
- Appointments for special tests
- Patient self-requested testing
- My test results
- Payments and charges
- Warfarin Dosing Service (Wairarapa patients only)
- Illumiscreen - pre-natal testing
- Useful links
- Collection centres
- Commercial testing
- Clinician information
- Clinician information
- Pathology test guide
- Result reporting
- Requesting tests
- Your practice support
- Newsletters for clinicians
- Illumiscreen (NIPT)
- Clinical Data Repository (CDR) information
- eLab: online test ordering
- Warfarin Dosing Service (Wairarapa clinicians only)
- Infection control
- Contact us
An appointment is needed for this test, so please phone the laboratory on (04) 381 5900 to book, and for any further information.
About your Test
- Your health professional has requested this test to help in the diagnosis of diabetes.
- You will need to telephone Wellington SCL to make an appointment.
- You need to fast for at least 8 hours and no more than 14 hours before the test.
- You should enjoy your normal diet without restrictions, including sugar. Take your normal exercise for the 3 days prior to your test but avoid vigorous exercise in the 12 hours immediately prior to the test.
- If you are taking any medication you should continue to take this, unless instructed otherwise by your health professional.
- You will need to remain at Wellington SCL for just over 2 hours. During this time you will be required to rest. You may like to bring a book to read.
- You will not be allowed to smoke, eat, or drink (not even water) during the whole 2 hour period of your test as this may invalidate the results.
Please follow the guidelines listed below. This ensure accuracy of your test results.
- The evening before your test, have normal evening meal and supper (no later than 9.00pm).
- Do not eat or drink anything - other than water - from 9.00pm until after you have had your test the following morning.
- On the morning of your test DO NOT eat breakfast. You may drink water only.
- A blood sample will be collected. You will then be given a drink containing 75g of glucose. You will be asked to drink this over a period of no more than 5 minutes.
- You should inform the staff if you feel unwell at any time during the test.
- A second blood sample will be collected 2 hours after you have finished the glucose drink.
This completes your test - you may eat and drink normally.